Title: Vortex Manipulation: from collective behavior to single-vortex
When: Thursday, March 23, (2023), 12:00
Place: Department of Condensed Matter Physics, Faculty of Sciences, Module 3, Seminar Room (5th Floor).
Speaker: Yonathan Anahory, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Racah Institute of Physics, 9190401, Jerusalem, Israel.
The dynamics of quantized magnetic vortices determine the electromagnetic properties of superconductors, particularly their ability to carry non-dissipative currents. Moreover, single-vortex manipulation is essential to probe its properties and manipulate classical or quantum information. This seminar will discuss two specific limits: the many vortex flux flow regime and single-vortex manipulation on submicron scales. In particular, we will the superconducting vortex diode effect based on superconducting/ferromagnetic (S/F) heterostructure1,2. Here, we observe a tunable superconducting vortex diode in Nb/EuS (S/F) bilayers3. Based on our nanoscale SQUID-on-tip (SOT) microscope4 and supported by in-situ transport measurements, we propose a theoretical model that captures our key results. We will also present a chip-integrated device that allows single-vortex manipulation5. We will demonstrate that this device could be used for large-scale topological quantum computing.
- Ubiquitous Superconducting Diode Effect in Superconductor Thin Films, Y. Hou, F. Nichele, H. Chi, A. Lodesani, Y. Wu, M. F. Ritter, D. Z. Haxell, M. Davydova, S. Ilić, O. Glezakou-Elbert, A. Varambally, F. S. Bergeret, A. Kamra, L. Fu, P. A. Lee, and J. S. Moodera, arXiv 2205.09276 (2022).
- Theory of the Supercurrent Diode Effect in Rashba Superconductors with Arbitrary Disorder, S. Ilić and F. S. Bergeret, Phys. Rev. Lett. 128, 177001 (2022).
- Direct Observation of a Superconducting Vortex Diode, A. Gutfreund, H. Matsuki, V. Plastovets, A. Noah, L. Gorzawski, N. Fridman, G. Yang, A. Buzdin, O. Millo, J. W. A. Robinson, and Y. Anahory, arXiv 2301.07121 (2023).
- SQUID-on-tip with single-electron spin sensitivity for high-field and ultra-low temperature nanomagnetic imaging, Y. Anahory, H. R. Naren, E. O. Lachman, S. Buhbut Sinai, A. Uri, L. Embon, E. Yaakobi, Y. Myasoedov, M. E. Huber, R. Klajn, and E. Zeldov, Nanoscale 12, 3174 (2020).
- Chip-Integrated Vortex Manipulation, I. Keren, A. Gutfreund, A. Noah, N. Friedman, A. Di Bernardo, H. Steinberg, and Y. Anahory, Arxiv 2212.06171 (2022).